Myanmar Investment Commission, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, prescribes Notification (7/2018) to carry out investment activities in education services on 20 April 2018.
The Commission may permit the investor to carry out investments in the following types of education services in the form of private schools teaching a curriculum prescribed by the Ministry of Education and relevant Ministries or an international curriculum.
- Private basic education school;
- Private technical, vocational and training school;
- Private higher education school;
- Private subject based school;
- Private school designated by the Ministry
In establishing private schools that are covered in the list of types of education services, it may be established based on the promoter’s capital as follows:
- Private school established by full capital investment of a Myanmar citizen, a Myanmar organization or Myanmar organizations;
- Private school established by joint capital investment between a Myanmar citizen, a Myanmar organization, Myanmar organizations or a relevant government organization, and a foreigner, a foreign organization, foreign organizations or a foreign government organization;
- Private school established by full capital investment of foreigners, a foreign organization, foreign organizations or a foreign government organization;
These schools shall comply with the Myanmar Investment Law and Rules, Notifications issued by the Myanmar Investment Commission and National Education Law (2014),
This Notification shall remain effective until such time when the law relating to private schools, technical and vocational education and training, and higher education is enacted, and upon such law being enacted, the investor shall comply with it.